.

Saturday, 12 March 2011

Deja Vu

I consider it an incredible blessing that my daughter absolutely loves to learn, however I do have to say that she gets a little obsessed. When she was about 12 months, I found some cute Dr. Seuss themed color flashcards in a bookstore. When I gave them to her, she immediately fell in love with them. She took them everywhere. She would spread them around the floor and make us call out colors so she could identify them. This little "game" went on and on everyday until she mastered them. And we NEVER instigated it....it was so weird, she would just come home and say "cards". That started the fascination with flashcards.

She learned her numbers and shapes differently, but when it came to her ABCs we started with a program on a DVD,that also had flashcards. She learned them in 2 weeks. Then, she took that knowledge to an ABC puzzle that she did EVERYDAY. The puzzle had the letters that covered up pictures which started with each letter so this naturally moved her into learning all of the beginning letter sounds. It has totally amazed me how fast she learned the beginning letter sounds. She knows both vowel sounds better than some of my lower third graders did earlier in the year. I am telling you, though, she just loves to do these things over and over.

However, I wanted her to take a little break from her self-imposed intense regimen so I didn't introduce anything new the last two months. I know that sounds weird, but seriously the girl needed to chill. (although she still found plenty to learn on her own)

Now that it's been a few months I thought I'd s-l-o-w-l-y start a sight word program. It starts with 16 sight words. Well, after three times, she knows them. However, she cannot transfer the knowledge to the books. But, everyday, she says, "I'm going to line up my cards, okay?" "I am going to go get the word 'said', okay?" Then, she'll bring it to us and this goes on until the line is done. She even uses most of them in a sentence. I just pray that she doesn't burn out before formal schooling begins!

Here's what she calls the "line up"


She is just so proud when she gets it!
She does have trouble with the "th" digraph though, she says the /v/ sound.



Thank you Lord for blessing us with such an amazing child.

1 comment:

  1. What are those flashcards & DVD called and where do I get them!?!?!

    ReplyDelete